Tuesday, April 18, 2017

A New Hope

If you've read our previous posts you know we've been looking into a service dog for Charlie for awhile.  And are currently on a really long wait list to get a dog.  Besides looking at many other service dog groups around the US, we've just prayed.  We pray every day that we can find a great dog for Charlie that can help him each day.  And pray that we have great people to work with in the process.

One day a few weeks ago we had the TV on in our kitchen as I was making dinner.  My husband was tuned in to a local news station.  I haven't been watching the news lately...it makes me sad, angry, upset, and I don't want to feel that way- so I've been avoiding the news.  Plus I really don't have time to watch it anyway.  I really wasn't paying attention to what was on there.  I was lost in thought as I made dinner for my family.  But something caught my attention.  I'm still not even sure what it was that grabbed me from my thoughts, but before I knew it I was glued to the TV as a local man talked about how he trains service dogs.  I was so surprised.  I hadn't heard of anyone local that does this, the closest one being the group where we were on the 2-3 year wait list.  After I watched the segment I immediately got online and contacted the news station.  I knew I needed to contact this man.  The news station got back to me very quickly and gave me his website info.  I found his website and sent him a message that same night (a Thursday).

Now, I wasn't expecting much.  I figured the guy wouldn't get back to me for a couple weeks.  No problem, I was certain he was busy.  While I was working from home the next morning I got a call from an unfamiliar number.  I had been getting a lot of junk calls from solicitors so I almost didn't answer it, but something pushed me to pick up the phone.  And I'm so glad I did!  It was the gentleman they interviewed on the news.  I was blown away that he would contact me so quickly.  He talked with me for a half an hour to get our story and what we were looking for, he answered all of my questions and by the end of the conversation was asking to come meet us.....the very next week!  I was almost in tears.  This was the best feeling I had had in talking with numerous service dog trainers.  I couldn't believe how this all came together in under 24 hours.  I knew we still had a lot of work to do- and still do- to get things set up but I felt this was a step in the right direction.  I had hope this would work out.  And I knew this wasn't a coincidence.  I knew God's hand was in this.  I've told my husband from the start that God has a plan, we didn't know what it was but that we needed to be patient and trust.

Last week we met with the trainer.  He came to our house and sat with us for well over an hour, answered our questions and got to know Charlie and his needs a little bit.  Since he is a smaller operation he said he really doesn't have a wait list and could start training a dog for Charlie in May.  I was shocked.  I clarified "this May, like in a couple of weeks?? Or May, as in next year???"  Would not have been surprised if he said May next year.  But nope, shocked once more he clarified that he could start in a couple of weeks.  I was so grateful that I was almost brought to tears.  The hope was just piling up the more we talked with this man!  At the end of our meeting he asked Charlie if he wanted to meet one of his dogs he had with him.  Charlie's eyes got really big and he said yes right away (no surprise there!).  The trainer brought his dog out who Charlie fell in love with instantly.  A 1 year old female German Shepherd who let Charlie hug her and play with her for quite some time.  I was instantly reminded how important this is to do for Charlie.  He needs this dog.  He needs the comfort, the companionship that this dog could offer.  He needs the reassurance and the confidence this dog could bring.  He needs this dog to better function each day.

We look forward to more meetings with the trainer in the coming weeks and are happy you have joined us on our journey

*I know many are wondering the name of the trainer we are using.  We have elected to keep names out of our blog for the time being since we are in the very beginning stages of working with him and have yet to have a solid plan in place to work with him.  Thank you for your understanding as we navigate the early workings of this very important relationship!*


This is a friend's dog we visited last week. It's amazing how therapeutic dogs are for Charlie!








No comments:

Post a Comment