Friday, March 18, 2022

I Am More Than a Caregiver

 I am more than a caregiver. 

Do you see me?


I am a mother. I have three boys, each with different needs. Each one unique in their own way. 


It’s true our life is different than most. The amount of time spent juggling therapy schedules, coordinating appointments, filling out paperwork, fighting for services and dealing with staffing shortages is a full time job. Most days it feels as though I’m just a caregiver, all business to make sure my kids have what they need to succeed. 


But I am more than a caregiver. 


Do you see me?


I’m a mom who wants to do the fun things with my kids like going to the zoo, taking last minute road trips, traveling, going on adventures, and listening to them talk endlessly about their favorite sport or the slumber party at their friend’s house. 


But my reality is much different. 


My reality is navigating meltdowns, redirecting obsessive behaviors, teaching calming techniques to lessen episodes of anxiety and modeling socially appropriate behavior. 


My reality is patching holes in our walls on the regular, explaining autism to siblings, friends and family, and redirecting self harming behavior. 


I am more than a caregiver. 


Do you see me?


I’m the one who is up before first light and most definitely last to bed. I’m the one making endless searches for more resources, tools and opportunities for my kids. 


I’m the one who puts friendships to the wayside because my family’s needs are so great. I’m the one whose needs are usually put last, because at the end of the day there’s just no energy for anything else. 


I’m the one always trying to be two steps ahead or waiting for the other shoe to drop. I’m the one defending my kids to others who just don’t quite understand. I’m the one always looking for the next intervention tool that will work. 


I’m the one in the middle of my family keeping it all together, because if I don’t, I’m not quite sure what will happen. 


Do you see me now?


I am more than a caregiver. 


No comments:

Post a Comment