Monday, August 14, 2017

All of this....over trains

Man, oh man, tough night at the King household.  It all started during the witching hour (usually around 5:30pm- you can count on something going down almost every evening at this time) when Charlie became hyper-focused on getting new trains.  He knows I have a stash of new trains hidden that he can earn (incentives).  He knows what to do to get his hands on his new trains, but likes to try to fool you into thinking he doesn't.  Well tonight I wasn't giving in when he wanted a new train....."just because."  If you know Charlie well you know he is obsessed with trains.  I'm pretty certain we have every train imaginable at our house.  When he becomes hyper-focused on something he sits and chants.  Tonight it was "I want a new train" over and over and over again.  I tried my best to carry on with cooking dinner (and Tyler wasn't home yet) but Charlie became more and more upset.  The chanting turned into a meltdown- toys thrown, head banged, screaming.  

When Tyler got home we tried to work with Charlie and Sunny together.  Charlie was sitting in the living room chair and decided to get Sunny to "lap" on Charlie to provide some deep pressure.  Tyler was trying to distract Charlie with pictures on his phone while I helped Sunny figure out what was going on.  Sunny did great, but Charlie was in a tough mood tonight.  




 Charlie calmed down slightly and Sunny went elsewhere in the room.  But Charlie went from meltdown on the chair to meltdown on the floor.  So, we gave Sunny the command for "full lap" where she is to lay on top of Charlie.


Now, obviously Sunny can't lay totally on top of Charlie (there is a slight size difference ;) but she did  what we asked her to do.  And I love how she looks like she's smiling in the picture.  She's totally loving it.  But Charlie wasn't.  He was so incredibly focused on his trains and so distraught it was hard for him to calm down even with Sunny's help.  

This was our night....over 3 hours of a meltdown over trains.  Trains, my friends.  Just trains.  Now, excuse me while I stay up way later than I should just to listen to the quiet.


No comments:

Post a Comment